Saturday, February 10, 2007

By our love

Anna Nicole Smith died this week. That really upset me. I liked her. But then again, I'm a Christian. I like all the wounded, rejected outcasts in the world. When I saw her I often wanted to hug her and give her the peace of Jesus.

Anna Nicole Smith died this week. That really upset me. But what really upset me was how many so-called Christians reacted to it.

Let me see, now. Some called her a fame addict, some a talentless floozy. One person actually called her a bimbo, and said, "the media only spent an hour or so on mother Theresa's death but they're spending all the time and air space and money on Anna Nicole. Ah the self-righteousness!

Jesus told us that people will know we are Christians by our love. But once again, Christians --ah, we're a judgmental pious bunch, aren't we?-- were on the attack.

Once again I was reminded that Jesus' gospel has yet to be preached. We are to be loving. We are to be the salt of the earth. We are to show faith in God's love and constant care. Jesus told us that men will see our good works and glorify the Father who is in heaven. Our good miraculous works and our love! Those are the two things that we are to use to show we are Christians.

But often Christians seem to think that being a Christian is a matter of doctrine and behavior. Christians talk among ourselves as if it's all about doctrine...as if it's all about words. God said it was about power, the power of the gospel. We behavior towards people as if their behavior --and our behavior-- is what God is primarily concerned about. Honestly, my behavior is pretty good. I'm one of the nicest persons in the world and I read my Bible and pray every day. But that's not gonna put me in heaven. The blood of Jesus is what saves me. And in the eyes of God my behavior --or Anna Nicole's-- doesn't matter one tiny bit. And it shames me whenever I hear Christians saying cruel judgmental things about other people. It scares me, too. And I bet it scares non-Christians as well. Our judgemental attitude towards other people is not evangelical and we must learn to truly love people as God does.

-C





Carole McDonnell Wind Follower June 2007 Juno Books

3 comments:

Constance Burris said...

"...whenever I hear Christians saying cruel judgmental things about other people. It scares me, too. And I bet it scares non-Christians as well."

it scares me too. Especially, knowing that these "Christians" are the ones that want to make the laws for this country. My bf is one of those, i hate to admit it, and she on of the most contradictory and hypocritical people that I know. but she is talented in the art of rhetoric. Me, I'm laid back and usually won't argue about anything, mostly because I don't have a strong desire to win and i'm not as strong as a debator. Lately, I've been having to ask myself is God trying to tell me to argue more be more serious? Just not observe but participate? learn how to master both my writing and my tongue.....

vane_yamileth said...

What really struck me about Anna Nichole's death is just the sadness of the life she lived. She spent her whole life pursuing the money that would support her lifestyle ... all the legal battles and effort she put into obtaining all this. And in the end she wasn't around long enough to enjoy it. The tragedy in her death for me lies in the waste of her life.

Carole McDonnell said...

Hi Kahnee and Vane:

Kahnee: I know the feeling. I understand the wounded too much to pick on anyone, even "blatant sinners." I try to speak up only when I think the Bible or Jesus are being picked on. Other than that, I keep my mouth shut when dealing face-to-face with anyone. Of course on a blog, I can chatter and talk all I want.

Vane: The thing that has been running through my head, though, is the cruelty of litigation. Folks, if you're in a lawsuit, get out! If you are tempted to be in a lawsuit, think twice! Litigation takes you from your path! It is a demonic distraction. And the human body is not made to be stressed day-in day-out year-in year-out by this kind of thing. I take Anna as an example of what celebrity does. I take her as an example of what fame does to people. I take her as an example of what long-standing mean-spirited litigation does to a human soul.

Lots of sad lessons learned here.

Blog Archive