Monday, December 01, 2008

I need Africa more than Africa needs me.

First, let me give you a quick reminder of what I posted last week and let me encourage you to go to the Mocha website to check out the new campaign!

As I wrote on Nov 24th, I need Africa reminds me that we all need people. The west has really messed up the idea of families and kinship. We in the west suffer a lot of loneliness and isolation because of this silly nuclear family stuff. It's a western concept that is too rooted in individualism, property, etc. Also, I suspect that most Africans show us what human interaction really is. As humans we are people who like joy, who need love, etc. But the west represses us. Emotions aren't readily shown. Not that everyone in Africa is a free-spirited soul. I'm sure there are stiff-upper-lipped Africans in Africa. But when I look at documentaries about Africa and other indigenous people, I see that at heart we humans are simply loving, uncomplicated, un-gameplaying folks. I somehow feel we westerners have so many silly priorities and ideas of behavior going on that we have lost touch with what it means to be authentic humans. We westerners are often not genuiune. I also think the African world is quite aware of some spiritual truths we westerners don't want to think about. Yeah, yeah, I know. All that spiritism stuff.

Now, this is what Barrett Ward, the creator of this I NEED AFRICA MORE THAN AFRICA NEEDS ME campaign says:

When I think of Africa, the following images immediately come to mind: Starvation. AIDS. Child soldiers. Genocide. Sex slaves. Orphans. From there, my thoughts naturally turn to how I can help, how I can make a difference. “I am needed here,” I think. “They have so little, and I have so much.” It’s true, there are great tragedies playing out in Africa everyday. There is often a level of suffering here that is unimaginable until you have seen it, and even then it is difficult to believe. But what is even harder is reconciling the challenges that many Africans face with the joy I see in the people. It’s a joy that comes from somewhere I cannot fathom, not within the framework that has been my life to this day. Read More


Other blogs participating in this campaign can be found at Mocha Club's blog

"I need Africa video" IS UP AT
YOUTUBE or click here.



No comments:

Blog Archive