Sunday, March 01, 2009

My beloved evil main character

Okay, Constant Tower is going to have a character who goes bad. Actually, not so much bad as out of control.

In Wind Follower, Loic is a good kid. Sure he's arrogant but it's spoiled kid arrogant. But Psal -- my sweet lovely Psal-- is angry enough to cause major trouble in his father's kingdom. It's interesting watching him go totally evil and murderous. I'll blame it on hormones. He's a teenager, after all.

But will readers walk with him all the way through his journey? So many folks like stories about good people. Psal, unfortunately, fails miserably to keep to goodness. But he does find redemption: he falls into self-loathing and realizes he has done evil. Will see.

Then there's the prince who's listening to the story. Another kid who is vaguely out of control. I also like this kid. I looove this book. The language is not as beautiful as Wind Follower but it feels technically better in other ways. Not that Wind Follower is a technically bad book but...well, it's different. Will see. First I have to get this book contracted to a publisher, then I've got to finish it. Or viceSend up a nice prayer for me. versa. -C

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I haven't forgotten about Constant Towers - I've so been looking forward to the day when I can hold the book and read the entire story.

Just a caution though, I know that i need to like the main character, as long as there is some redemption or some other character that we can love/like/respect.

Carole McDonnell said...

Hi Lisa:

Thanks so much for looking forward to CT. That alone brings joy to my ears. It's encouraging and it helps me persevere in finishing it.

Yeah, it's very tough making him evil and likable. But I think you'll like him. When he gets evil I think the emotion you'll feel is not hatred toward him but a sadness and a disappointment that he should fall. Like how one behaves when one hears one's best friend has fallen. I think you'll like him honestly. Will see. Thanks again for encouraging me. -C

Blog Archive