Thursday, July 24, 2008

Carnal Christian? Carnal Character? True and honest writer?

Inheritance is one of the two novels I am currently writing. And there are a whole lotta real people in it. And I find myself asking myself at each juncture: Am I a carnal Christian writing about sex issues? Or am I a perfectly well-behaved and sanctified Christian writing about carnal Christians? It's hard to decide. I don't want the book to be stiff. I want the book to touch my soul. I want the book to share my soul. So how do I handle it? Sex and attraction are everywhere in this story...and I really have to figure out what my characters would do. What would I do if I were in that position? What should I do if I were that character? What kind of Christian am i writing to? And how should I write to the folks I am writing to? Very stressing.

I like to walk the borderlands. I like bringing weird things together in one novel. A CBA-published Christian book about a depressed widow and an alienated young man would have them dance around sex. I dunno. I know life...and I know how loneliness and depression can make a person end up in bed with the wrong person. Hey, I go to Black Christian churches and tons of those folks are unwed mothers. So these good people are at least doing something and falling into sin occasionally, right?

Oh, I know... Some Christian is going to say that the reason I'm confused is because I'm double-minded. Watching VH1 reality shows and reading my Bible at the same time. Probably true. And yet -- vain self-righteous comment here-- I honestly think that I am so desperate to grow in God and to get my son healed that I read more religious stuff and listen to more sermons every day than the average Christian does in a week. Christian romance is so dishonest sometimes...because it aims for purity and only gives us piousness. It holds its heroine and its hero to a higher standard. But it forgets that that standard is pretty hard to hold to in our times. Oh, what to do? what to do?

I want a story that is very passionate and very real and very erotic. Doesn't mean I charaters have to end up in bed with anyone. But it means they have to feel the tug and the reader has to feel the tug. And it might mean that -- forgetting that I must write stories that teach morals-- that they might tumble into bed. But will they end up moaning in self-loathing after the sexual sin? Lord knows. The Christians I know don't really take a long time to forgive themselves of some sin. Who knows?

Anyway, will see. Am thinking my female character is gonna end up in bed with someone. And wondering if I should even go there.

Just after posting this I went over to an ebuddy's blog Fantasy Debut and saw a great post on sex in novels. It really reminded me about how important sexual choice is. And that one has to be careful -- even in modern times-- about the occasional sexual romp. What a blessing that I looked at the blog today. She posted it yesterday...but it really is helping me with how to work out this story. Thanks, Tia.
-C

9 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm a pretty open minded christian and I border more on the heathen side given some of my open views and intolerance towards hateful behavior. That said, I'm inclined to believe that a christian book that deals with some sex issues CAN be written such that it isn't some carnal lust filled novel.

We try to make what we want to be right, but if you are questioning your own actions, take a serious look at them, maybe you are seeing something wrong.

Carole McDonnell said...

That's true. So far the novel is very sexually-safe. I just am now wondering if the character will sleep with the other character...and really wondering if A) they would B) if they should and what the response would be. I can't write it and let it be a small little thing. It's lust after all. But what to do? If I make it a big thing, then other issues come up. Gotta really try to see clear. So far, though, no sex. And am at about 150 pages. -C

Gregory Bernard Banks said...

I think that as a writer you have to first, last and always be honest with the characters you create and the stories you tell. I think if the story you have to tell involves sex, violence, or whatever, and it's something that seems an integral part of the story, then it belongs. We're all humans and we write about human nature, even when our stories are about creatures from imagined worlds and look nothing like us, it's still just us humans projecting ourselves into a difference facade.

I briefly struggled with a similar concern once, but I decided that I couldn't be a writer if I put restraints on myself. Someone will always find fault with what you do, and 99.9% of the time we have to realize that the fault lies with them, not us. If you want to think of it terms of Jesus, He gave His life for us, so I don't have a problem taking a bit of flak from a few naysayers when I know the story I've written is good and may touch someone who needs the message they find in my story.

Carole McDonnell said...

Wow, great answer, Greg! Very true, very honest. It really helps. -C

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hey Carole!
{waves}

As a writer, I do have a clear picture in mind of who I am writing to, a "profile" if you will.

I don't see anything wrong with presenting a character with complexities and contradictions who is on the path of identifying choices that are aligned with his/her understanding of principles.

You did say something that struck me..."get my son healed"... as if the responsibility for his wellness lies with you and lies with the amount of praying YOU DO and the actions YOU take...have I misunderstood... when I preach to women I often tell them that God won't allow them to bring a rope into Heaven! The audience usually starts laughing but the truth is that we often TRY to drag others to Jesus and we can never achieve salvation and deliverance for ANYONE. Stop by my blog when you have a chance, okay? Love you.

Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa

Carole McDonnell said...

Hi Lisa:

Thanks. I am trying to see who it is I am writing to. I'm hoping I am writing to a Christian who will understand the complexities and that I need to write the complexities. Some Christians don't live complex lives. And others live complex lives but they don't want to read about it.

I do believe that it is dependent on me to get my son's healing to manifest. I believe that by Jesus's stripes we were healed. But faith without works is dead. It is up to us to command the healing. Jesus told us to pray for the sick, raise the dead. He has given us authority to heal the sick and to cast out devils. The word of God is powerful and active and sharper than any two edged sword but it is my responsibility to rest in the word and to water the word with thanksgiving. Many healers such as Bosworth and Smith Wigglesworth-- believe that we are to speak the commanding word. And many people who have been miraculously healed had to work out their own salvation through fear and trembling.

We are collaborers with Christ. In the same way, that it is not will that any should perish and go to hell...but just because God doesn't will that someone goes to hell doesn't mean the person won't end up there. So God wants us to preach the gospel. That is our part. It's not bringing a rope into heaven to do one's part. Faith always requires an action. Faith without works is dead. God has provided healing to all through Jesus blood. The healing seed of God is working mightily in my son. But If I do not command the healing word and use the authority Jesus has given to all believers, my son's healling may not manifest. And if I do not water the word with praise or read the Scripture, my son's healing may not manifest.

God has given all men salvation but unless we do our part by believing in our heart and confessing with our mouth, and repent of our sins and forgive those who have forgiven us the salvation is not ours. Although God has provided it.

The same way with healing. All believers were healed by Jesus' stripes. When I prayed to God to heal my son, he sent his word and healed him. But if I do not do what I am supposed to do the healing may not manifest. In due time we will reap if we faint not.

So I don't believe my son's healing depends on me. So I mis-spoke there. But I do believe that there is something I must do. And keep doing, and keep persevereing...so that I will reap. Many people do not reap because they keep waiting around for God. But we have to do something. Stay in the word, sing praises, take communion, forgive our enemies.

God is sovereign but he has given us authority...and too many people have died by not taking their authority and by not doing what is necessary.

My religious blog is www.carolemcdonnell.blogspot.com You can visit it also. -C

Carole McDonnell said...

Lisa:

Basically, the kingdom of God suffers violence and the violent take it by force.

Seeking first the kingdom of God is the required work to get the miraculous power within God's powerful word and seed to work in our lives and to blossom.

That was what I meant by his healing depending on me. God gives healing virtue when hands or laid on people. But what happens with that healing virtue (as Kenneth Hagin and Andrew Wommack and Emily Dotson and Doug Jones say) is up to us.

Jesus only rebuked his disciples when they didn't act on their faith...when they didn't heal the sick boy, when they didn't rebuke the waves. He also said to Moses in Exodus 14:15-18, "Why are you asking me to do this? You stretch out your staff and separate the water!" We are colaborers with God. Greater than Moses because we have God's spirit within us. Because we have authority from Jesus.
-C

Anonymous said...

I can't add much more to what has been said. You have to stay true to your character. I believe we all have a certain sin we're more vunerable to, a particular vice that we have to fight hard not to succumb to. Your character's vice may be sexual. It's a particularly tough one, since we are to "be fruitful and multiply." Sexual desire goes hand in hand with that command. Your character can be sexual without actually being promiscuous. Her behaviour and actions may express her desire, but her faith may restrain her, but just barely.

Carole McDonnell said...

Hi Milton...yes. "just barely." Will see. I have to figure out what it is I am actually writing about. Will see what happens. -C

Blog Archive