Friday, July 25, 2008

Characters and Creativity

In first novel, Wind Follower, I thought of Loic as a spoiled little kid much like my older son. I liked him but found him a bit exasperating. I wasn't particularly attracted to him. I liked the female character but she was too much like me to really separate myself from her.

In Inheritance, the dark horror I'm attempting to write, I find I'm in love with Danny. IF I'm not careful I'll fantasize about sleeping with him. The female main character confuses the heck out of me. She is a lot like me but I seem to have turned her into a character who is caught in one moral issue: to sleep with main character or not. I mean... is this book about "will she roll in bed with this guy?"

In Constant Tower, a fantasy I'm working on, I find the main character Psal a bit pitiful. I feel intensely sorry for him. Same for the second main character, Cloud. Come to think of it, all the guys in this story kinda have my pity. I have two female main characters in this. A strong black woman, Ktwala, who is kinda bitter and a young black girl, Maharai, who is captured and slowly connects to her captors. I like them both and find Maharai very intriguing. She has it in her to be very cut-throat. Lord knows why I create young girls who are cut-throat. Maybe I have a little cut-throat little girl in me who never got a chance to act up when I was young.

I think I know why I'm a spec-fic writer. I lived a terrified kind of life with uncles and grandfathers telling me scary horror stories about ghosts and demons on the like. In addition, they were a cruel lot who were always ready with a belt to whip a person into submission. Belts in the black family, wow! Major child abuse issues there. Not to mention terrorism on other levels I won't speak publicly about. So something in me understood terror and horror. I also saw an angel once and a demon. And there was much Bible reading in my house. Those, I think, are the reasons I write speculative fiction. I didn't like writing mainstream because the communal world's idea of reality just was not my idea of reality.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

You've describes flaws in your characters, do you wish to change them or leave them that way?

Carole McDonnell said...

Hi Lisa:

I leave them that way. In that way the characters have to work through those issues. Like real human beings. And especially in romances. Flaws are the things that keep people apart and push the plot ahead. -C

Blog Archive