Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Constant Novel: Agenda versus Vehicle

There is a difference between the agenda and the vehicle. But a white feminist friend of mine just doesn't seem to get it.

My new WIP, The Constant Tower, carries my agenda: poor folks (usually of color) living in a world in which other folks (usually white) take resources that don't belong to them. But the agenda is carried in this story by using a vehicle created by the white folks in power. Using Massa's tools to dismantle Massa's house.

Those who haven't had the opportunity to speak must learn how to tell the truth and tell it slant... to tell our story through the media created by those who are powerful. We have to be slick if we want to be understood and yet be published.

In Wind Follower I created a Christian story which honors the best in paganism. That was published by a secular publisher but it is essentially a Christian story. Constant Tower will be published by an American Christian publisher. In my mind, American Christians don't want to read fantasies about white male oppressors that take stuff from poorer cultures. So I have to put my agenda in the proper craft. In this case, I am using a white male protagonist and the story takes place from the viewpoint and from the cultural setting of the white characters. Because honestly, politics aside, white Christian males who read fantasy are more likely to read about males, especially white males. One has to be aware of that. The story already has two black females and one interracial love affair. That kind of stuff is not generally in Christian fiction. I really can't push my luck too far by having a female black protagonist.

My main characters is a white boy from an oppressive rich culture who learns that his people are preying on poor black cultures. There's a war going on but we see the war through the eyes of the white culture. All the rumors and stories we hear are told through the white characters. (I'm kinda talking about the American media and how American culture views the resources of the world as its right. But I am more concerned with the path this white warrior takes as he realizes he and his culture are wrong.)

My friend -- as I said she is majorly into white feminism-- said I should have a female main character. She wasn't interested in hearing about the boys. When I told her all the above she got angry with me and said I was not listening to her because I was too committed to what I had on the page. Duh!!! (Not true btw. She told me to rework my synopsis and I did. She told me to rework several chapters and I did. So I DO listen to her. Except in this.)

Okay, the fact that I have two sons and I want to talk about the brainwashing being given to American boys of all colors...and I'm also talking about war and resources and the food crisis, I think I'm being pretty liberal and enlightened. She thought not. Simply because I had a male protag. Come on now! I hope I'm not wimping out on this nobel..but I DO think my story set up is valid. Especially since the Christian publisher still hasn't told me if he is really going to accept it with all the "different" stuff I've already put in the novel.

This white feminist and I had a good relationship but she just doesn't think racism compares to sexism and even went so far as to say no feminist is racist...because feminism is a system that tries to help all the oppressed. Yeah, right. I've told her over and over that white feminists are used to setting the agenda on what feminism is and they should stop telling black women what is or is not feminist. (Heck, most white feminists remind me of horrible tyrannical white lady bosses I've had.)

Whites have had their time talking about our culture in their paternalistic superior ways. Why can't a black author talk about their paternalistic superior ways in a novel? The country is so fr*ggin racist and I want to do my share of speaking to racist so-called Christians. There is nothing - not even art-- that we can do about changing folks but I can at least say that a black woman wrote a Christian fantasy about racism that was published by a Christian company. Even if I can't change the hearts of white racist Christians, I can heal our people's hearts and cure us of this racial stockholm syndrome/self-loathing that living in our culture creates.

I told her all this but she doesn't agree with me.
So...I'm thinking that either she A) a feminist who simply wants me to write about women ALL the time or B) a racist who simply doesn't want to be challenged by a black author daring to depict her culture or C) an academic snob who thinks that my plan won't work because I simply am not creatively capable of doing it. You know how they do...thinking we have great ideas but somehow we don't have the skills to do it well. They always think we are not capable.

And frankly, she pissed me off. -C

-C

9 comments:

Joshua said...

I am not sure about males being more likely to read about males. Maybe you have statistics to back you up, but speaking from my own experience (as a reader, not a librarian or anything), many of the fantasy books I can think of off the top of my head feature women. Something that feels half-remembered in my brain says this is because women actually read more fantasy than men do, but I have no idea if that's actually true either. It could as easily be the case that men like to read about women (who often have leveler heads than men, at least in the books I tend to read) more than they like to read about other men. Just my two cents...

Carole McDonnell said...

Hi Tap:

I don't have statistics to back it up either, actually. I was just told that men liked reading about men and that in fantasy that's the way things were. And there's all that stuff about J K Rowlings choosing a male character and using her initials yadda-yadda-yadda because young boys tend to read books by males or about males. So maybe the statistic is that men who read fantasy read more about men. My Christian publisher told me this and he used to be editor for a Christian fantasy publishing house...so I'm kinda going with what he said. Either way, I don't want to narrow the readership down because I'm not sure if the average Christian male reader of fantasy (usually white) will want to read about two black women. So I made the lead character a white male. Let's hope it all works out. Thanks. -C

Pagan Topologist said...

I am a Pagan and a white Carl Brandon Society member. I was reluctant to buy a book that you called Christian fantasy [Wind Follower] but the reviews were so overwhelmingly good that I did. Eventually, I shall read it; there are only two in the queue ahead of it. I don't know whether I will be able to talk myself into buying ANYTHING from a Christian publisher, since I see Christianity as a quite destructive force in the world. Indeed I think we would be better off if all the Abrahamic monotheisms just disappeared. I would mourn the loss of the Bah'ai, but not of the other three. But, I will see. I am often quite impressed by your insights on the CBS dixcussion group, this in spite of my strong anti-Christian prejudice. Yes, I grew up Christian, and it was/has been a very difficult escape from something that harmed me greatly.

No doubt this is too much information.

Carole McDonnell said...

Hi Pagan. I have no doubt Christianity has harmed you. It's mixed in with a lot of harmful stuff. I have no doubt other religions have also harmed others who were born into them also. Either because of the priests/clerics of the religion or because of the tenets of the religion. I have for instance a friend who was raised a hindu and was very harmed by that. Nothing worse than being born poor or with a deformity or having a whole string of bad luck and then people shunning you because they think you were evil in a past life. It is very hard for the disabled in such a culture. Pagan religions also have caused damage because they bring a whole set of problems. Although many westerners don't believe in demons, I've had the sorrow of seeing quite a few so I know the damage they have done to people. And paganism has no real way of commanding a demon to leave...only to appease it. So it is not only the Abrahamic folks who do damage. Most religions do damage. The thing to do is to know that God loves us and to have a personal relationship with him. Jesus never told his disciples to go out and turn people into Christians. he told his disciples to make people know and become his disciples. Very hard to do because we all like "team-mentality" but it is possible. There are growing numbers of Moslems for instance who are not "Christians" but who are disciples of Isa al Masee. So I have no doubt a good pagan can follow Christ. I'd love you to read my book. And once again, I know the damage Christianity so-called has done. But I think the damage is done more by its adherents than by the gospel itself...which I truly believe is the truest revelation of what is really happening in the world, and the truest revelation of what goodness is. -C

Anonymous said...

I enjoy your responses, Carole. Especially to folks who bash Christianity. Its really sad to see those who embrace everything demonic but love.
-erica

Carole McDonnell said...

Hi Erica:

It's a tough road to walk, definitely. Because A) some good souls were really damaged by so-called Christians and we have to know how to deal with that. B) Christianity's truth is not apparent to those who merely use human thinking. Certain truths have to be revealed. C) if someone is involved in something they don't want to change or even a sin they don't want to be told what to do. And definitely D) the world is at war with God. They don't get him. They dislike the idea of some authority telling them what to do. They dislike not being gods equal to Him.

It's tough all around. -C

Pagan Topologist said...

Carole, thank you for taking time to post a thoughtful reply. As usual, I really appreciate your insights. As to casting out demons, I think Pagans have more options. Some can be cast out by will alone, which Christians find inappropriate, to say the least. But doing so successfully is profoundly good for ones sense of self worth and power. Otherwise, I could call upon Hermes, Cernunnos, Yemaya, or any of several others, since I have not made a commitment to devote myself to a particular deity or even a particular pantheon.

The essential core of Christianity that bothers me at least as I was taught it is this: The message was 'You are worthless and evil. In spite of this, God loves you and has given you the option of transcending your evil worthlessness by believing in Jesus and accepting him as your master in all things.'

But the core belief is: 'YOU ARE WORTHLESS AND EVIL' which I came not to believe. Once that belief is shattered, there is no reason for all the rest, so far as I can see. And, the feeling that I was worthless led to either thinking that everyone else was worthless also, or that everyone else was worthy but me. Both of those lead to terrible consequences, psychically.

Yet, atheism or agnosticism I found lacking. In Paganism, I have found peace and joy. Yes, I accept responsibility for what I do and I ask no deity for forgiveness. And letting someone else [Jesus]be punished for my sins...that is simply not honourable at all..

I did not intend to be anonymous by using just my blogger handle. My name is David Bellamy.

Gregory Bernard Banks said...

>>But the core belief is: 'YOU ARE WORTHLESS AND EVIL' which I came not to believe.<<

That's not the message of Christianity. That's the message of Christians who use the power of Christianity for suppression and control. That's what gets lost in all the crap that gets done in the name of Christianity or any other religion. The bad stuff are reflections of human nature, not the intent of God.

As for Carole's book, I think the feminist friend needs to learn to understand the concept of "not HER book". Suggestions are always welcomed, but it sounds as though she's trying to tell you how to write your own book, and that's both absurd and obnoxious, as well as down right insulting. I really don't write my stories with agendas per se, so I can't say I agree with your reasons for writing the story. But I do like the angle from which you're addressing it, sort of looking at the darkness from the inside. That's always a compelling and rich place to spin a tale from.

Pagan Topologist said...

I will agree that I prefer reading about women characters rather than men much of the time. Although it seems to be uncool to admit it in some circles, I love Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. I most like his female characters. Somehow they seem more real than the men. And I really like Nnedi's and Nalo's novels. They would be even better if they were longer. In a book of only 100K words or so, it feels to me that the reader only gets to know a caricature of a character. Much longer works enable one to know a character more deeply and truly, at least as I see it.

Blog Archive